Should you get a mold test done during your home inspection?

We visually look for mold during the general inspection but if you want to take it to the next level we can do a mold spore test.  A mold spore test is conducted by air sampling the lowest level area of the home which is usually the basement since that is most likely to have some dampness and potential mold growth behind finished surfaces that we won’t be able to see (if present) during the inspection because we are conducting a non invasive visual inspection.  We then sample the outside air as a control sample.  Both samples are then sent over night to the lab who analyzes the samples and performs a spore count by mold genus, compares the inside sample to the outside sample, and determines if the inside results are elevated or not.  Elevated readings would then be recommended for further investigation and cost to remediate by a certified mold remediation company.  Of course the cost to test is a bit expensive because of the overnight shipping and lab fees so the cost to test is $350. So who would want this add on inspection? Typically buyers who have family members who are allergic to molds or have asthmatic conditions, and reactions to mold such as headaches and other physical ailments should consider getting a mold test performed if there is a basement. Basements are below ground areas that tend to be damper than the rest of the home and therefore facilitate an environment conducive to mold growth. Another situation might be if one were to go under contract to purchase a bank owned home that has been vacant for a while and plans to live in it. Bank owned homes may have more concealed issues (such as mold) than normal re-sale houses because they typically have sat for many months empty without a stable and controlled inteiror environment ie temperature and humidity.